By Zach Coverdell A power outage in Bridgeport, Connecticut proved to be a real “hands off” experience for an anonymous 30-year-old woman on the evening of September 7th.
Thunderstorms affecting the power grid in the area created the outage, which left Bridgeport’s residents in the dark. The woman’s family had returned from Home Depot, with the intention of buying some emergency supplies, but the store was closed. Upon coming home, they recalled seeing something in the basement of their home left by a previous tenant that they thought was candles. They had resided in the home for two years.
The “candles” were retrieved from the basement, but upon lighting one of them, the device obviously detonated, resulting in the woman having severe hand and face injuries. These injuries were so severe she may lose multiple fingers.
Following the accident, Connecticut State Police deployed the bomb squad, in addition to a cadre of other fire, police, and investigative units. They evacuated both homes on either side of the residence, and another explosive device was found, which was destroyed.
It is against the law in Connecticut to buy dynamite or fireworks, but Bridgeport police will not be pressing charges, as the family obviously did not know they had explosives in the home. Bridgeport residents were reminded to double check their backup lighting and make sure that they are functional.
Yes Bridgeport, please make sure your candles are not dynamite.
Do you have a story or video you want to be published? Send it in!